2nd: LeAnn Rimes posts a message on her website http://www.rimestimes.com condemming Curb Records album I Need You, which she says was released without her consent. These comments add fuel to the fire in her legal battle with the label to get out of her contract, which she signed at age 12. In March a judge decides that she can't break her contract, but by November the star had signed a new contract with Curb.
7th: Dale Evans, wife of the late Roy Rogers passed away. She was 88.
11th: Johnny Cash enters a Nashville hospital with . He's released on the 21st, but is admitted twice in October for bronchitis.
12th: Vince Gill and Amy Grant have their together, a girl; Corrina Grant Gill. Corrina was 7 lbs 9 1/4 oz and 19 1/2 inches long.
21st: Two weeks after performing a live two-hour television concert (A&E Live by Request), Loretta Lynn is , where she stays for two weeks, then returns home to recover.
22nd: Garth Brooks, Roy Clark and Vince Gill are among the artists that put together a benefit for Opry star, to help pay the singer/songwriters medical bills. Russell later dies in July of complications.
8th: of BlackHawk dies of melanoma. He was 45.
24th: Tim McGraw celebrates the release of Set This Circus Down with in New York and Nashville.
8th: Clint Black and Lisa Hartman Black had their first child, a girl; Lily Pearl Black. Her picture was shown the following night at the ACM awards broadcast and Clint's website http://www.clintblack.com crashed due to all the people logging on to see the photo of Lily.
9th: ACM Awards: LeAnn Rimes hosts the Academy of Country Music Awards for the first time. Dixie Chicks and Lee Ann Womack take home three ACMs each. The Chicks win for the video "Goodbye Earl," group, and Entertainer of the Year. Lee Ann wins for song, single and vocal event for "I Hope You Dance." Toby Keith wins Male Vocalist and Album of the Year for "How Do You Like Me Now?!" Faith Hill takes home Female Vocalist. Brooks & Dunn take home the Duo award. Rascal Flatts nab the New Group, Jamie O'Neal takes the New Female, and keith urban the New Male. Barbara Mandrell and received career-honoring awards.
12th: Darryl Worley longtime girlfriend, Beverly Dean Irvin in Savannah, TN.
23rd: In a nine-day trial Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney are acquitted of assault charges stemming from the famous horse incident in New York.
4th: John Hartford dies of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He was 63.
13th: TNN & CMT Country Weekly Music Awards - George Strait and Alan Jackson are big winners at the awards with Alan taking home five awards and George three. Faith Hill wins Female and the Dixie Chicks win Group/Duo.
13th: Artists from the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" perform at . A full tour featuring most of the artists will start in 2002.
14th: Fan Fair draws a record 124,000 people over the weekend.
30th: Chet Atkins dies of cancer in Nashville. He was 77.
3rd: dies of complications of diabetes. He was 61.
17th: Sony sues the Dixie Chicks for breach of contract.
10th: Martie Seidel married her fiance' Gareth Maguire in Hawaii. The couple plan a formal ceremony next summer in Ireland with their families.
12th: Shania Twain and John "Mutt" Lange have their first child, a boy; Eja (pronounced Asia.)
4th: Trace Adkins and wife Rhonda add another daughter to their family; Brianna.
10th: marries his "first love," Elizabeth Filer in Houston, TX.
29th: Farm Aid takes place at the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville, IN. The concert features Willie Nelson, John Mellancamp, Dave Matthews and others.
29th: Lorrie Morgan and Sammy Kershaw marry in a small ceremony.
4th: : Rhonda Vincent takes home three awards. Nickel Creek win for Instrumental Group, and Nickel Creek bandmember Chris Thile wins for Mandolin musician.
21st: The is held in Nashville to benefit the Salvation Army's Disaster Relief Efforts. Among those participating were George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Martina McBride, Tim McGraw, the Charlie Daniels Band, Vince Gill, George Jones, Lonestar, Lee Ann Womack, and Sara Evans.
28th: The : Tim McGraw's annual benefit is held in Rayville, LA. It's a celebrity softball game followed by a concert. The show featured performances by Martina McBride, Carolyn Dawn Johnson, and the Warren Brothers, as well as McGraw and his wife, Faith Hill.
7th: CMA Awards are broadcast and are one of the highlights of country music this year. The performances are excellent. O Brother Where Art Thou wins album of the year, and the song, "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" wins Single of the Year, while "Murder on Music Row" takes Song of the Year. Male Vocalist goes to Toby Keith. Female Vocalist goes to Lee Ann Womack. Group goes to Lonestar. Duo goes to Brooks & Dunn. Collaboration goes to Brad Paisley with George Jones, Bill Anderson and Buck Owens with "Too Country." Video of the Year goes to Sara Evans for "Born to Fly," and Entertainer of the Year goes to Tim McGraw. Horizon Award goes to keith urban.
12th: Chalee Tennison Mark Gillespie in a private ceremony in Pigeon Forge, TN.
14th: Garth Brooks plays a sold-out concert in Los Angeles. This is the first of three shows to be broadcast on CBS as live specials. The second show was held on the USS Enterprise in Norfolk, VA, and the last was held on San Padre Island in Texas.
4th: Lila McCann leaves her teens behind as she becomes 20 on this day.
6th: Faith Hill and Tim McGraw have their third daughter, Audrey Caroline.
16th: Loretta Lynn carries the in Louisville, KY.
21st: Trisha Yearwood's album chosen as one of People Magazine's 10 Best In Music.
|Billboard Top 20 Albums of 2001
- GREATEST HITS Tim McGraw Curb
- O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? Soundtrack Mercury
- COYOTE UGLY Soundtrack Curb
- BREATHE Faith Hill Warner Bros./WRN
- FLY Dixie Chicks Monument/Sony
- I HOPE YOU DANCE Lee Ann Womack MCA Nashville
- GREATEST HITS Kenny Chesney BNA/RLG
- SET THIS CIRCUS DOWN Tim McGraw Curb
- BORN TO FLY Sara Evans RCA/RLG
- ONE VOICE Billy Gilman Epic/Sony
- WHEN SOMEBODY LOVES YOU Alan Jackson Arista Nashville/RLG
- HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?! Toby Keith DreamWorks/Interscope
- I NEED YOU LeAnn Rimes Curb
- DOWN THE ROAD I GO Travis Tritt Columbia/Sony
- PULL MY CHAIN Toby Keith DreamWorks/Interscope
- STEERS & STRIPES Brooks & Dunn Arista Nashville/RLG
- I'M ALREADY THERE Lonestar BNA/RLG
- WHO I AM Jessica Andrews DreamWorks/Interscope
- BURN Jo Dee Messina Curb
- THE WHOLE SHEBANG SheDaisy Lyric Street/Hollywood
|Billboard Top 20 Singles of 2001
- AIN'T NOTHING 'BOUT YOU Brooks & Dunn Arista Nashville
- IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE Travis Tritt Columbia
- DON'T HAPPEN TWICE Kenny Chesney BNA
- YOU SHOULDN'T KISS ME LIKE THIS Toby Keith DreamWorks
- I'M ALREADY THERE Lonestar BNA
- ONE MORE DAY Diamond Rio Arista Nashville
- SHE COULDN'T CHANGE ME Montgomery Gentry Columbia
- WHO I AM Jessica Andrews DreamWorks
- AUSTIN Blake Shelton Giant/WRN
- WHAT I REALLY MEANT TO SAY Cyndi Thomson Capitol
- WHEN I THINK ABOUT ANGELS Jamie O'Neal Mercury
- GROWN MEN DON'T CRY Tim McGraw Curb
- I'M JUST TALKIN' ABOUT TONIGHT Toby Keith DreamWorks
- ONLY IN AMERICA Brooks & Dunn Arista Nashville
- WHERE THE BLACKTOP ENDS Keith Urban Capitol
- BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD Keith Urban Capitol
- I WOULD'VE LOVED YOU ANYWAY Trisha Yearwood MCA Nashville
- I COULD NOT ASK FOR MORE Sara Evans RCA
- MY NEXT THIRTY YEARS Tim McGraw Curb
- IF I FALL YOU'RE GOING DOWN WITH ME Dixie Chicks Monument
Billboard ® charts can be found in full in the December 29th issue of the magazine.