Johnny Cash has influenced everyone from punk rockers to rappers. Held up as the country singer even country haters can get behind, he pretty much sums up the whole mythology of country music. His songs encompass all the major subjects: God, trains, work, drinking, cheating, and much, much more.
Cash's 1955 song "I Walk the Line" propelled him to fame, and he continued to blur the boundaries between country, folk, and rock with his television variety show in the '60s. After flagging fortunes, Cash experienced a late-20th century comeback with his rugged and critically acclaimed American Recordings.
The Life of Johnny Cash
Explore the life of Johnny Cash with this biography. It tracks the Man in Black from his first session with Sun Records to recording "Hurt" with Rick Rubin.
- Early Years and Air Force: 1932-1954
- Sun Records and Stardom: 1955-1959
- Drugs and June Carter Cash: 1960-1967
- Folsom Prison and The Johnny Cash Show: 1968-1979
- American Recordings and Death: 1980-2003
About the Songs
Discover the stories behind some of the Man in Black's top tunes. These brief articles supply commentary, history, and links to audio clips.
Articles on Johnny Cash
From little-known facts to behind-the-scenes info, these articles dig deeper on Cash's legendary life and music.
- Marriage to June Carter
- Top 40 Johnny Cash Moments
- Miscellaneous Facts about Johnny Cash
- Johnny Cash's Obituary
Don't know where to start? Check out these top Cash albums for recommendations.
Find notable images of Johnny Cash, from concert photos to album art.
Books and Movies about Johnny Cash
- Walk the Line (2005, directed by James Mangold)
- Cash by Johnny Cash
- The Best of the Johnny Cash TV Show
- The Man Called Cash by Steve Turner
Johnny Cash learned something about singing and songwriting from every artist listed below.
These artists recorded and performed with Johnny Cash. Whether young or old, he counted them among his contemporaries.
Relatives of Johnny Cash
Here are some musicians related to Johnny Cash either by blood or marriage. Read their profiles for information on their lives and their relationship with the singer.
- June Carter Cash - wife
- Rosanne Cash - daughter
- Carlene Carter - step-daughter
- Rodney Crowell - former son-in-law
- Marty Stuart - former son-in-law
- Tommy Cash - brother
Trivia Facts about Johnny Cash
- Cash had over 100 hit singles during his lifetime.
- In 1980, Johnny Cash was inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame, making him the youngest member.
- For the American Recordings series, producer Rick Rubin tried repeatedly to get him to cover Radiohead's "Creep." Cash never budged.