Claims to Fame:
- Co-wrote "Mama's Broken Heart," which Miranda Lambert recorded for Four the Record.
- Scored seventh place on the fifth season of Nashville Star.
- Self-released three albums before she scored a major label deal with Mercury Records.
- Plays the guitar, mandolin, and harmonica.
Kacey Musgraves Videos:
Kacey Musgraves grew up in Golden Texas, and wrote her first song at age nine. It was called "Notice Me." For the next few years, that's exactly what Musgraves tried to get people to do. She sang in the church and in the local Opry. After first learning how to play the mandolin, she received guitar lessons and began writing songs as part of her homework.
At age 18, Musgraves self-released her first album and competed in the Nashville Star talent competition (she finished seventh). But the experience convinced her to move to Nashville where she earned extra cash -- and visibility -- singing on demos.
After scoring a publishing contract, Musgraves had a fair amount of interest from labels in signing her as an artist. But their vision of her didn't quite fit. She found ideal collaborators in Luke Laird and Shane McAnally, who would become co-producers on her major-label debut Same Trailer Different Park.
- Movin' On (2002, self-released)
- Wanted: One Good Cowboy (2003, self-released)
- Kacey Musgraves (2007, self-released)
- Same Trailer Different Park (2013, Mercury Nashville Records)