The Bottom Line
- "She's Gone, Gone, Gone"
- "If You've Got The Money I've Got The Time"
- "Look What Thoughts Will Do"
- A salute by Willie to Lefty Frizzell, one of the greatest country singers of all time.
- 22 weeks on the country charts (five weeks at #2); reached #91 on the pop charts.
- Includes top ten hit, "I Love You A Thousand Ways."
Guide Review - Willie Nelson - To Lefty from Willie
With ten original tracks and one bonus cut, the disc shows clearly why Lefty has been such an influence on so many others who came after, and where Willie (stylistically a very different artist than Lefty), like so many others, was influenced by him. Willie Nelson sounds nothing like Lefty. In tribute, he makes these songs his own with his distinctive style and delivery. Of course, Willie's rough style and easy-going manner appeal to fans of every genre, bringing a whole new audience to Lefty's music.
Willie recorded this album with his road band, which makes for a more intimate sound, perfectly suited to Willie's comfortable voice. Willie also chose to stick strictly to Lefty's biggest hits from his top years, including a number of lesser-known songs, as well as one of the last songs Lefty would write, "That's The Way Love Goes," which was a big hit for Johnny Rodriguez in the mid-70's and again for Merle Haggard in the 80's.